Last Updated: 2 November, 2022
If you are an individual accessing or using the website on behalf of, or for the benefit of, any corporation, partnership or other entity with which you are associated (an “organization”), then you are agreeing to these terms on behalf of yourself and such organization, and you represent and warrant that you have the legal authority to bind such organization to these terms. References to “you” and “your” in these Terms will refer to both the individual using the Website and to any such organization.
The Website is available for non-commercial use and for informational purposes only, provided however that, subject to your compliance with these Terms, to the extent permitted by applicable law, Galactica Materials made available to you through the Website may be used by you, including for commercial purposes, pursuant to the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0) license, as described below. If you are an individual, you may not access or use the Website unless you are at least 18 years old or, if you reside in a jurisdiction in which the age of majority is higher than age 18, the age of majority in such jurisdiction.
WE MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND AS TO THE ACCURACY, CURRENCY, OR COMPLETENESS OF THE INFORMATION AND OTHER MATERIALS MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE WEBSITE, INCLUDING ANY GALACTICA MATERIALS. WE ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY DECISIONS YOU MAY MAKE IN RELIANCE ON SUCH INFORMATION OR OTHER MATERIALS.
By accessing the Website, you confirm that:
- if you are an individual (rather than an organization), you are at or above the age of majority in the jurisdiction in which you reside;
- you are not prohibited under applicable laws from receiving any of information or other materials, including the Galactica Materials, hosted on or made available through the Website; and
- if you are agreeing to be bound by these Terms on behalf of your employer or other organization, you represent and warrant to Meta that you have full legal authority to bind your employer or such organization to these Terms.
Registration; Usernames and Passwords.
You may need to register to use all or part of the Website. We may reject, or require that you change, any username, password, or other information that you provide to us in registering. Your username and password are for your use only and should be kept confidential; you, and not Meta Platforms, Inc., are responsible for any use or misuse of your username or password, and you must promptly notify us of any confidentiality breach or unauthorized use of your username or password, or your Website account.
“User Content” means any information and content that you submit to, or use with, the Website (including any information entered in any open text field). This includes any content or submission that you post, submit, make available, provide or otherwise share with us on our Website. Examples include any text, code, photos, videos, or other media or content. For clarity, “User Content” does not include Galactica Materials or any other Meta information or content, even if such information or content is referenced in your User Content.
You are solely responsible for, and assume all risks associated with, your User Content. If your User Content contains information relating to an identified or identifiable individual, you represent that such individual has consented to your use of such information, that your collection and use of such information complies with all applicable laws and regulations, and you remain responsible for any disclosure of your User Content, including any such disclosure that personally identifies you or any third party.
Unless otherwise expressly specified in these Terms, we are not obligated to backup any User Content. You are solely responsible for creating and maintaining your own backup copies of your User Content if you desire.
We reserve the right (but have no obligation) to review any User Content, and to investigate and/or take appropriate action against you in our sole discretion if you violate any other provision of these Terms (as determined by us). Such action may include terminating your account and removal of your User Content.
You should not submit or provide any confidential, private or personal information (other than your contact details if you wish to receive an answer to a query that you submit to us or to be contacted in response to any feedback you provide) in any open text field on the Website.
To the extent that you provide User Content, you hereby grant to us (and represent and warrant that you have the right to grant to us) an irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free and fully-paid-up, worldwide license to reproduce, distribute, display and perform (publicly or otherwise), modify, prepare derivative works of, incorporate into other works and otherwise use and exploit such User Content, and to grant sublicenses (through multiple tiers) to any of the foregoing rights. You hereby irrevocably waive (and agree to cause to be waived) any claims and assertions of moral rights or attribution with respect to your User Content.
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in these Terms, subject to your compliance with these Terms, the Galactica Materials made available to you via the Website are licensed by us to you under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0) license (the “License”); a copy of this License is available at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode, and a summary of the License is available at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/. Upon termination of these Terms or your access to the Website, the License will also terminate.
You acknowledge that much of the information available on the Website, including the Galactica Materials, have not been verified or approved by us. Views expressed on the Website, including in the Galactica Materials and User Content, may not represent our views or values.
Excluding any User Content that you may provide, you acknowledge that all intellectual property rights, including copyrights, patents, trademarks, and trade secrets, in the Website, including the Galactica Materials, are owned by us, our suppliers, partners and/or third party licensors. For the avoidance of doubt, Meta does not claim ownership of your User Content.
You retain ownership of your intellectual property rights (e.g., copyrights or trademarks) in your User Content. Nothing in these Terms transfers ownership of your User Content to Meta.
Without limiting any of the above, we have the right (though not the obligation) to, in our sole discretion, reject, block or remove any User Content, or terminate, suspend or deny access to and use of the Website to any individual or organization for any reason, in our sole discretion.
Except as expressly set forth herein, neither these Terms nor your access to the Website transfers to you or any third party any rights, title or interest in or to any intellectual property rights in the Website. We reserve all rights not expressly granted to you in these Terms.
You may not access or use, or attempt to access or use, the Website (including the Galactica Materials) to take any action that could harm us, other Website users or any other third party, interfere with the operation of the Website, or use the Website in a manner that violates any laws. For example, and without limitation, you may not:
- impersonate any person or organization or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation or the origin of any information or materials you submit;
- engage in unauthorized spidering, “scraping,” or harvesting of content or information, or use any other unauthorized automated means to compile information from the Website;
- take any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our network or infrastructure; use any device, software, or routine to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Website or any activity conducted on the Website or attempt to probe, scan, test the vulnerability of, or breach the security of any system or network;
- attempt to decipher, decompile, disassemble, or reverse-engineer any of the software or code comprising or in any way making up a part of the Website;
- distribute any unauthorized materials or advertise or promote goods or services without our permission (including, without limitation, by sending spam);
- submit content that infringes on the copyright, trademark, patent, or other intellectual property rights of any third party, are false, misleading, libelous, defamatory, obscene, abusive, hateful, or sexually-explicit, violate a third party’s right to privacy or publicity, or degrade others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual preference, disability, or other classification; and
- engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits any person from using or enjoying the Website, or that, in our sole judgment, exposes us or any of our users, affiliates, or any other third party to any liability, damages, or detriment of any type.
In addition, you may not use our Website (including the Galactica Materials), or do or share anything, that:
- violates these Terms, and other terms and policies that apply to your use of the Website;
- is unlawful in any country, misleading, discriminatory or fraudulent; or
- infringes or violates someone else's rights, including their intellectual property rights.
We may investigate and work with law enforcement authorities to prosecute users who violate applicable laws or regulations in connection with their use of the Website (including the Galactica Materials). Violations of system or network security may result in civil or criminal liability, or termination or suspension of your access to the Website and/or your account (if applicable).
To help support our community, we encourage you to report to us any content or conduct that you believe violates your rights (including intellectual property rights) or our Terms and policies.
We respect intellectual property rights. If you believe in good faith that your work has been reproduced or is accessible on the Website in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please provide our designated agent with the following information in writing:
- identification of the copyrighted work or a representative list of copyrighted works claimed to have been infringed;
- identification of the allegedly infringing material and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material;
- your name, address and a daytime telephone number, and an email address if available, so that we may contact you if necessary;
- a statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- a statement that you have a good faith belief that the use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- a physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
Our designated agent may be reached by contacting:
Meta Platforms Designated Agent, Meta Platforms, Inc. 1601 Willow Road Menlo Park, CA 94025 (650) 543-4800 [email protected]
Upon receipt of a valid notice of claimed infringement or any statement in conformance with 17 U.S.C. § 512(c)(3), we will expeditiously remove or disable access to the allegedly infringing content. We will terminate the privileges of users who repeatedly infringe copyright.
Termination and Suspension
These Terms are effective until terminated. We may terminate or suspend your use of the Website (including any Galactica Materials) and/or your account at any time and without prior notice, for any reason, including if we believe that you have violated or acted inconsistently with the letter or spirit of these Terms. Upon any such termination or suspension, your right to use the Website and the Galactica Materials will immediately cease, and we may, without liability to you or any third party, immediately deactivate or delete your username, password and account, and all associated materials, without any obligation to provide any further access to such materials.
Limitation of liability
YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE (INCLUDING THE GALACTICA MATERIALS AND USER CONTENT) IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE WEBSITE AND ITS RESPECTIVE CONTENT ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, OR OTHER VIOLATION OF RIGHTS. WE DO NOT WARRANT THE AVAILABILITY, ADEQUACY, CURRENCY, ACCURACY, LIKELY RESULTS, OR COMPLETENESS OF THE USER CONTENT, THE WEBSITE (INCLUDING THE GALILEO MATERIALS) OR ANY THIRD-PARTY SITES LINKED TO OR FROM THE WEBSITE, OR THAT THE FUNCTIONS AND CONTENT PROVIDED WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, VIRUS, OR ERROR-FREE.
WE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN THE CONTENT INCLUDED ON THE WEBSITE, INCLUDING THE GALACTICA MATERIALS AND USER CONTENT. WE DO NOT CONTROL OR DIRECT WHAT PEOPLE AND OTHERS DO, SAY OR UPLOAD TO THE WEBSITE, AND WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS OR CONDUCT (WHETHER ONLINE OR OFFLINE) OR ANY CONTENT THEY SHARE (INCLUDING OFFENSIVE, INAPPROPRIATE, OBSCENE, UNLAWFUL, AND OTHER OBJECTIONABLE CONTENT). SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SOME OF THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
IN NO EVENT WILL WE, OR OUR PARENTS, SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, AND ASSIGNS BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, LOST PROFITS, OR OTHER DAMAGES WHATSOEVER ARISING IN CONNECTION WITH THESE TERMS, THE USER CONTENT OR THE WEBSITE (INCLUDING THE Galactica MATERIALS), ANY INTERRUPTION IN AVAILABILITY OF THE WEBSITE, DELAY IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION, COMPUTER VIRUS, LOSS OF DATA, OR USE, MISUSE, RELIANCE, REVIEW, MANIPULATION, OR OTHER UTILIZATION IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER OF THE WEBSITE, OR THE DATA COLLECTED THROUGH THE WEBSITE, EVEN IF ONE OR MORE OF THEM HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES OR LOSS. OUR AGGREGATE LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THESE TERMS, THE GALACTICA MATERIALS, USER CONTENT OR THE WEBSITE WILL NOT EXCEED THE GREATER OF ONE HUNDRED U.S. DOLLARS ($100).
You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold us and our subsidiaries, affiliates and parent company, and our and their respective directors, officers, employees, agents and assigns, harmless from and against any and all losses, costs, expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees and expenses), claims, causes of action, proceedings, investigations, damages, and liabilities arising from, related to or associated with your User Content, your access to or use of the Website (including the Galactica Materials and other content, including content submitted by other users) and any alleged violation by you of these Terms. We reserve the right to assume the exclusive defense of any claim for which we are entitled to indemnification under this section. In such event, you shall provide us with such cooperation as we reasonably request.
We may change these Terms from time to time by notifying you of such changes by any reasonable means, including by posting revised Terms through the Website. Any such changes will not apply to any dispute between you and us arising prior to the date on which we posted the revised Terms incorporating such changes, or otherwise notified you of such changes. Your use of the Website (including any Galactica Materials) following any changes to these Terms will constitute your acceptance of such changes. The “Last Updated” legend above indicates when these Terms were last changed.
We reserve the right, at any time, to modify, suspend, or discontinue all or any elements of the Website (in whole or in part, including the Galactica Materials) with or without notice to you. You agree that we will not be liable to you or to any third party for any such modification, suspension, or discontinuation.
Third Party Materials
The Website may contain links to third party content or otherwise contain materials that are hosted by another party. We do not control, endorse, sponsor, recommend, or otherwise accept responsibility for such content, your use thereof or your access thereto.
YOUR ACCESS THESE MATERIALS AT YOUR OWN RISK. AND IS SUBJECT TO ANY ADDITIONAL TERMS, CONDITIONS AND POLICIES APPLICABLE TO SUCH THIRD-PARTY MATERIALS (SUCH AS TERMS OF SERVICE OR PRIVACY POLICIES OF THE PROVIDERS OF SUCH THIRD PARTY MATERIALS)
- You acknowledge and agree that we have no obligation to provide you with any support or maintenance in connection with your use of the Website.
- The use of the Website involves the transmission of data through your device or network service provider in the case of a mobile device. Your network service provider may charge you for this data transmission. You are responsible for any and all costs related to your use of your device or network service provider.
- We appreciate your feedback and other suggestions about the Website. If you submit to us any feedback or suggestions, we may use and fully exploit them in any manner that we deem appropriate, without any restriction or obligation to compensate or credit you. We will treat any feedback or other suggestions as non-confidential and non-proprietary. You should not submit to us any information or ideas that you consider to be confidential or proprietary.
- These Terms make up the entire agreement regarding your use of the Website. If any portion of these Terms is found to be unenforceable, the remaining portion will remain in full force and effect. If we fail to enforce any of these Terms, it will not be considered a waiver. Any amendment to or waiver of these Terms must be made in writing and signed by us. You agree that no joint venture, partnership, employment, or agency relationship exists between you and us as a result of these Terms or your access to and use of the Website.
- Our failure to enforce any provisions of these Terms or respond to a violation by any party does not waive our right to subsequently enforce any terms or conditions of the Terms or respond to any violations. Nothing contained in these Terms is in derogation of our right to comply with governmental, court, and law enforcement requests or requirements relating to your use of the Website or information provided to or gathered by us with respect to such use.
- These Terms are governed by and shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California, U.S.A., without regard to its principles of conflicts of law, and regardless of your location. You agree to exclusive jurisdiction of the federal and state courts located in San Mateo County, California, U.S.A., and waive any jurisdictional, venue or inconvenient forum objections to such courts.
- You may not assign, transfer or sublicense any or all of your rights or obligations under these Terms without our express prior written consent. We may assign, transfer or sublicense any or all of our rights or obligations under these Terms without restriction.
- If you have any questions or comments about the Website or the Galactica Materials, please contact us at [email protected] or by mail at:
Galactica c/o Meta Platforms, Inc. 1601 Willow Road Menlo Park, CA 94025