Galactica Data Policy
Last Updated: 2 November, 2022
Galactica is a free, AI-assisted research tool to amplify researcher capabilities provided by Papers with Code (“PwC”) and supported by Meta Platforms, Inc. (together, “Meta”, “us”, “our”). Specifically, Galactica is a large language model which is trained on scientific corpus of data such as research papers, abstracts, lecture notes etc., the contents of which are generated by AI, and which is continuously updated by AI as new research becomes available.
This Data Policy explains our practices for handling your information collected in connection with the Galactica website (the “Website”), including the materials hosted on the Website.
Collection of Information
When you interact with us through the Website, we may collect or receive the following types of information from you:
Information you provide directly
For certain activities, we may collect the following types of information:
- Contact information, such as your name (first and last name) and email address.
- Any information and content that you submit to, or use with, the Website (including any information entered in any open text field). This includes any content or submission that you post, submit, make available, provide or otherwise share with us on our Website. Examples include any text, code, photos, videos, or other media or content.
- Other information you choose to provide to us, such as when you send us correspondence or provide feedback to us.
If you create an account, we will collect your username, email address and password.
Information collected automatically
We may collect certain account and profile activity information, such as your join date, last log-in date, days visited, read time, and specific queries made. Depending on the type of device used to visit the Website, we may also collect certain additional information automatically, such as:
- Device attributes: information such as the operating system, hardware and software versions, battery level, signal strength, available storage space, browser type, app and file names and types, and plugins.
- Device operations: information about operations and behaviors performed on the device, such as whether a window is placed in the foreground or background, or mouse movements (which can help distinguish humans from bots), as well as pages visited.
- Identifiers: unique identifiers, device IDs, and other identifiers, and Family Device IDs associated with the same device or account.
- Device signals: Bluetooth signals, and information about nearby Wi-Fi access points, beacons, and cell towers.
- Data from device settings: information you allow us to receive through device settings you turn on, such as access to your GPS location.
- Network and connections: information such as the name of your mobile operator or ISP, language, time zone, mobile phone number, IP address, and connection speed.
How We Use Information
We will use the information described above for the purpose of operating and providing the Website. Specifically, we will use the information for the following purposes:
- Provide, personalize and improve our Website: We use the information we have in order to deliver, personalize and improve the Website, including to register your account with us, personalize features and content, create and update your profile. If you interact on our channel or with us, we also collect such information to deliver, personalize and improve the Website. We also process your data in order to operate and administer our Website. For example, whenever you provide us with feedback, we may process the data you provide in order to improve the Website.
- Communicating with you: We use the information that we have to communicate with you and let you know about our policies and terms. We also use your information to respond to you when you contact us.
- Promote safety, integrity and security: We use the information that we have to verify accounts and activity, combat harmful conduct, detect and prevent spam and other bad experiences, investigate suspicious activity and enforce our terms and policies and to protect our, and the rights of, others.
- Complying with our legal obligations: We process information when cooperating with public and government authorities, courts or regulators to prevent activities that are prohibited by law or our Terms of Service and in accordance with our legal obligations under applicable laws to the extent this involves the processing or disclosure of personal information.
Third Party Links
How We Share Information
There are certain circumstances in which we will share your information with certain third parties without further notice to you, as follows:
- Authorized third-party vendors and service providers. We share your information with third-party vendors and service providers that help us with specialized services, including email communications, business analytics, data storage, and data processing. Some of these service providers are located in the United States and store your personal data in the United States.
- Law Enforcement Actors and Legal requests. We may disclose information where we are legally required to do so in order to comply with applicable law, governmental requests, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process (including in response to public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements).
- Fraud prevention. We may disclose information where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal or harmful activities, suspected fraud or other security issues, violations of our terms, or policies, or as evidence in litigation in which we may be involved.
- Business transfers. We may share or transfer information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company, provided that we inform the buyer it must use your personal information only for the purposes disclosed in this Data Policy.
- With your consent. We may share your information with any other third party with your consent to the disclosure.
Cookies And Similar Technologies
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually adjust your browser settings to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that removing or rejecting cookies could affect the availability and functionality of our Website.
In accordance with applicable laws, you may have the right to access, rectify, port and erase your information, as well as the right to restrict and object to certain processing of your information. To exercise such rights in relation to the information you provided to us for the Website, simply send an email to [email protected] from the email address you provided to create your account on the Website.
How We Protect Information
We take measures to help protect information from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. However, no data storage system or transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100 percent secure.
We retain information relating to the Website until it is no longer necessary to serve the purposes for which it was collected, e.g. to provide access to the Website and its content. Reasons we may retain some data for longer periods include security, fraud & abuse prevention, record keeping, complying with legal or regulatory requirements and ensuring the continuity of our services.
We do not knowingly collect or store information from children under the age of 13 (or under the age of majority in your jurisdiction of residence), unless permitted by law. We will delete any information we may have inadvertently received from a child under 13 upon notice. If you have reason to believe that a child under the age of 13 has provided personal information on our Website, please contact us and we will endeavor to delete that information from our databases.
If you have any questions about this Data Policy or our practices, you can contact us at [email protected] or by mail at:
Papers with Code c/o Meta Platforms, Inc. 1601 Willow Road Menlo Park, CA 94025
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
Information we collect and sources of information
Our Data Policy above already describes the information we collect and its sources. This section organizes that information around the personal information categories set forth in the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA):
- Identifiers: This includes for example your real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers. We obtain this information when you provide it to us or otherwise automatically in the course of your interactions with our website.
- Internet or other electronic network activity information: This includes for example information regarding your interactions with our Website. We obtain this information automatically in the course of your interactions with our website.
How we share personal information
We do not sell your personal information, but we share information to support our own operational purposes in providing the Website to you, as described in our Data Policy above. For example, we share information with our partners, service providers and related companies to secure and improve our website (such as to identify bugs, repair errors or ensure that services function as intended) or to have them perform services (e.g. hosting the Website).
How can you exercise your rights provided under the CCPA?
Under the CCPA, California residents have the following rights:
- Right to Know: You have the right to request that we disclose to you the personal information we collect, use, or disclose over the past 12 months, and information about our data practices;
- Right to Request Deletion: You have the right to request that we delete your personal information that we have collected from you;
- Right to Non-Discrimination: We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of these rights.
- Right to Opt-Out of Sales: We do not sell personal information, so we do not have an opt-out.
In order to protect your information, we may need to verify your identity before processing your request. In some cases, we may need to collect additional information to verify your identity, such as a government issued ID.
Under the CCPA, you may exercise these rights yourself or you may designate an authorized agent to make these requests on your behalf. We may request that your authorized agent have written permission from you to make requests on your behalf and may need to verify your authorized agent’s identity.
To exercise your rights under the CCPA, or if you are an agent authorized to exercise a right under the CCPA, you can use this CCPA Contact Form or contact us by mail at the address provided above.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR INDIVIDUALS IN THE EUROPEAN REGION
If you are a user in a territory or country listed below (the “European Region”), Switzerland or the United Kingdom the following information also applies to you and supplements the information contained above in the Data Policy in relation to your use of our Website.
Andorra, Austria, Azores, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Channel Islands, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Greece, Guadeloupe, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malta, Martinique, Mayotte, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Cyprus, Réunion, Romania, San Marino, Saint Barthélemy, Saint-Martin, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Vatican City, and the United Kingdom and its sovereign bases in Cyprus (Akrotiri and Dhekelia).
If you live in the European Region the data controller responsible for your information when you use the Website is Meta Platforms Ireland Limited.
What is our legal basis for processing data?
We collect, use and share data on the basis of the following:
- Legitimate interests: Our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of a third party, where not outweighed by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. We rely on this legal basis to share information with others, including law enforcement, and to respond to legal requests. The legitimate interests we rely on for this processing are to prevent and address fraud, unauthorized use of the Website, breaches of our terms and policies, or other harmful or illegal activity; or to protect ourselves (including our rights, property or products), our users or others, including as part of investigations or regulatory enquiries.
- Compliance with a legal obligation: We rely on this legal basis for processing data when the law requires it, including, for example, if there is a valid legal request for certain data.
When we process your data as necessary for the purposes of legitimate interests, you have the right to object to, and seek restriction of, our processing. To exercise your rights, you can email [email protected]. In evaluating an objection, we will evaluate several factors, including: reasonable user expectations; the benefits and risks to you and third parties; and other available means to achieve the same purpose that may be less invasive and do not require disproportional effort. Your objection will be upheld and we will cease processing your information, unless the processing is based on compelling legitimate grounds or is needed for legal reasons.
You have the right to access, rectify, port and erase your data under certain circumstances. You also have the right to restrict certain processing of your data and object to the processing of your data for our legitimate interests (as explained above in the paragraph “What is our legal basis for processing data?”). Please note that to protect your information, we may need to verify your identity before processing your request. In some cases, we may need to collect additional information to verify your identity, such as a government issued ID. To exercise your rights, you can send an email to [email protected] or contact us by mail at the address provided below.
You can contact Meta Platforms Ireland Limited online or by post at:
Papers with Code c/o Meta Platforms Ireland Limited 4 Grand Canal Square, Grand Canal Harbour Dublin 2, Ireland